Proposal Champion: Randall Saborio
Proposal Status: For Consent at Assembly
Governing Circle: APDC Assembly
Advice Process Location:
Proposal for hosting of Coliazul Waldorf Community Project and the building of a Cultural Center at DBC
The Coliazul Waldorf Community Project is a collective of community stewards and families intertwining Waldorf education, natural building, and community stewardship using a multi-stakeholder membership model.
Coliazul hereby proposes to develop the activities of our lifelong educational program for children and adults based on Waldorf principles on the land stewarded by the DBC.
To achieve this purpose we include the building of a Cultural Center that will host our educational program and that it will also serve as a venue for other cultural and educational events for people of any age, as proposed by other community stewards.
We propose to build this Cultural Center and be granted permission to utilize the upper plateau land that is held in a Trust at the Diamante Luz land project.
Our children and we, the adults, need a space for culture and education with a wider understanding of learning.
The Coliazul Waldorf Community Project aligns with the mission and objectives of the Diamante Bridge Collective, generating experiential learning tools and capacities for the children of our village and the adults that care for nurturing the seeds of our communities.
The Waldorf methodology resonates with our project and is perfect to be used in our environment and in alignment with the principles of the DBC as it has the following main characteristics:
- Holistic Development : Focus on nurturing the physical, emotional, and intellectual aspects of a child, fostering a well-rounded individual.
- Arts-Integrated Curriculum : Integration of arts, music, and movement into academic subjects, promoting creativity and self-expression.
- Play-Based Learning : Emphasis on play as a crucial component of early childhood education, allowing children to explore and learn through imaginative play.
- Nature Connection : Recognition of the importance of nature in a child’s development, often incorporating outdoor activities and a connection to the natural world.
- Cultural and Practical Arts : Inclusion of practical life skills and cultural activities in the curriculum to develop a sense of community and connection to the world.
In addition to the care for our children the space also serves as a venue for events for people of any age, to promote intergenerational and intercultural interaction, and any type of cultural event as proposed by the community stewards.
By utilizing shared space and resources, the Diamante Bridge Collective contributes to the realization of these shared goals, offering a platform for holistic education, life-long learning, and cultural activities to thrive.
The children are the future. By having a nurturing space for children and a cultural center, the community spirit will be strengthened and a rooting process will be activated which encourages families to stay long term and engage.
We request permission to utilize the upper plateau of Diamante Luz for building a Community Cultural Center that will serve to host an educational program for children and that can also host cultural and educational activities for the community. The structure will serve the purpose of an inspiring learning environment for children as well as a communal space for creative culture and life-long learning.
The Coliazul team of stewards will work on designing the physical space, bring in the material and financial resources, and organize the construction of the structures. The design will consider using processes and materials that are sustainable and cost effective, embedded in harmony with the space and cause the least impact to the environment possible.
The start date of the project educational program is for February 2024.
The start date of the construction of the Cultural Center will commence when we have the design complete and acquired the necessary resources, financial and material, to start the construction.
The Coliazul team commits through this proposal to steward this project and the Cultural Center Commons for a period of 5 years.
The Coliazul Project consists of at least 5 phases. As of Dec 20th we are advancing through Stage 1:
Stewards from the community, realizing we have to resolve this important need, agree to organize and use our dedication, our network and our resources, to make the project happen. Some meetings have happened to share the project. Starting to “hunt” for a lead teacher.
We invite families and stewards for playtime and sharing circles. We advance the design of the project as the picture gets clearer on the energy needed and the resources available. We enable agreements with our supporters. We nurture bonds within the stewards and supporters. With a plan and resources available, we can start enabling the infrastructure for the next stage.
We have a proposed program for the kids, and the teachers and stewards that will carry it, and the commitment from families and supporters. We have the most basic infrastructure needed to start this. The first iteration of the program starts. Plans, connections and agreements with supporters and resources continue to evolve into improvements and additions.
Coliazul has enabled the creation of a multi-purpose infrastructure that can be used to adequately support the educational program in its current capacity, and steward and support the extension of activities and availability as a community Cultural Center. As aligned by support and resources, we support the creation of a Cafe/store. on the next plantel.
The Cultural Center continues to flourish and be an epic center of connection and growth in wisdom and culture in San Salvador.
- Establishment of the Coliazul Waldorf Community Project on the proposed land project. The project consists of a Waldorf-based program for children functioning 3 days a week.
- Successful implementation of a Waldorf-based educational curriculum
- Hiring at least one professional teacher
- Active community participation through classes, workshops, and mentorship
- Affordable education for families, with financial support for those in need.
- Families will contribute $200 per month for the operation costs and infrastructure. Families with more capacity can donate more.
- Organizing sponsoring associations in different countries (home countries of the community members)
- Starting fundraising for stage 1 of the buildings of the cultural center.
- Establishing the “Traveling teacher system” inviting experienced Waldorf teachers to share their experience after their work-life.
- In the Cultural Center space a variety of activities can take place in the afternoon and evening, like dancing, singing, English and Spanish lessons, community meetings and potlucks, also provided by our experienced guest teachers.
- Lifelong learning, the children will experience adults in their learning process.
- Ecobuilding workshops
- Designing workshops
- Steady participation and growth of the participants.
- Integration of more international or local Waldorf teachers.
- Adaption of the buildings to the growing needs of the growing student body.
- Progress toward the goal of not exceeding $200 per family for education .
- Development of a cultural center, offering art, science, and cultural experiences.
- Enrichment of the San Salvador/Diamante Valley community through holistic education
- Monthly events for sharing knowledge/projects of the children in an artistic way.
- Further funding of the project allows for improvements of the infrastructure of the land project hosting the Coliazul project.
- Developing the community cafe for more public use.
- Sustainable operation of the Coliazul Waldorf Community Project.
- Continuous improvement of educational quality.
- Enhanced student diversity and educational team growth.
- Establishment of a secure foundation for the project’s future.
- Enriched community life within San Salvador/Diamante Valley.
- Becoming attractive for families and other creative people to settle.
- The buildings are prepared in a manner, to serve educational as well as event- and seminar- purposes in afternoons and evenings.
Describing the performance activities that will be reviewed at evaluation checkpoints.
Performance activities that will be reviewed at evaluation checkpoints include:
- Student enrollment and participation rates.
- Community participation levels through classes, workshops, and services.
- Financial progress and adherence to the target cost of $200 per family.
- Development of a supporter circle
- Feedback and satisfaction levels from participating families and stewards.
- Growth of the educational team and presence of experienced teachers.
- We are still developing the budget requirements for the educational program operations and for the construction of the Cultural Center.
- Coliazul will drive the funding campaigns for the required financial and material capital for the operations and construction. Coliazul will also receive support from participating families through membership fees and also material and labor support from community stewards.
The Coliazul project will procure the materials through the financial funding and request for material support campaigns
Core team of Coliazul Waldorf Community Project:
Tentative start date: February 2024.
We are in conversation with 4 possible teachers.
The lead teacher needs to be confirmed.
A mentoring teacher is arriving to our community in January and will help us with developing the program and finding the lead teacher
Finding rooms for teachers to live in.
Coachings with experienced teachers are taking place.
We are connected with several Waldorf projects in Costa Rica and abroad.
Regular meetings of the core team are taking place.
Meetings with the parents are taking place.
Currently 10 children are on the list, between ages 7 to 11.
Development of spaces is in progress, which allow the accommodation of an ideal learning environment as well as the cultural activities.
With the Coliazul Cultural Center the Diamante Bridge Collective can become an even more helpful and attractive place for lots of communities and people around.