Here is the original proposal as drafted by Travis, and presented by Phoenix:
Proposal for Funding: DBC Mommas and Children
5% of all general donations into the DBC are earmarked for the support of Mothers and Children, to be sociocratically decided by a Council of Women how it will best be allocated and distributed.
What is the current situation as it relates to the Vision and Mission of the Diamante Bridge Collective?
- Meeting everyone’s needs is core to the DBC vision, however mothers with children are often excluded from participating in meetings due to life circumstances, for example caring for children.
- Our collective has a significant number of single women raising children, and a growing number of families in general that are here and/or requesting to join with us.
- The mothers in particular are frequently unable to attend meetings where important topics are discussed. Even when in attendance the needs of the children often keep them from being able to participate fully, contribute meaningfully, or represent their own perspectives.
What positive change is needed in order to fulfill the Vision and MIssion?
Allocating 5 % of general donations to mothers would allow them to make more decisions about their lives, and offset imbalances in traditional patriarchal systems.
What is being requested to address the Context?
- The care work that women have been doing for generations has been undervalued by current economic systems and we are working to create a more just and equitable flow of resources in the development of DBC initiatives.
- Raising up the voices of women so long silenced in these participation-based systems and empowering them to make decisions of their own on how to financially address their challenges is just one small step we can take with 5% of the DBC funding pool.
- The women and mothers in the collective are already regularly meeting to support each other best as they can… with the passing of this proposal they can move on to the “sociocratic formalization” of a Women’s Council (Consejo de Mujeres) that has the resources to address their needs in order to be more active in guiding the future of the Collective.
- Short-term Expectations
a. The creation and formalization of a sociocratic Women’s Circle
b. The restoration of faith and hope in the women and especially mothers who are being left out/left behind as the Collective grows
c. The empowerment of women in the community to express their needs, and be able to meet them without begging for help
- Mid-term Expectations
a. Increased participation in governance and guidance by the women
b. Greater focus on the inclusion of children and of the mothers wellbeing
c. Money distributed to moms and its use tracked.
- Long-term Expectations
a. A powerful circle of women working together to alleviate the burdens of traditional motherhood and childrearing
b. A more healthy and balanced representation of membership at decision-making tables that includes mothers, and children too
c. Most likely, better decisions and greater success as a Collective for having empowered female leadership unhindered by challenges easily overcome with a little bit of resources and the space for creative solutioning.
d. Happier moms, children, and humanity
Thank you for reading, and replying here with your public comments.
There has been a lot of discussion in meetings, I’ll add some links to meeting notes when I have a bit more time - in the meantime please let’s formulate a clear opinion, ask kind questions, and speak in this public format with compassion to seek understanding WHILE working to surface objections and work through them together!